Pokemon Iron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coming up with ideas for Pokemon Iron and helping to create it

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

--SPRITING THREAD--

Go down 
+4
Brian.Gif.
Arbok
The Mighty Pepper
Hyper Beam
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KIMYURI

KIMYURI

--SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 6:25 am

Hyper Beam wrote:
Anyone else wanna help me making trainer sprites?

I'll help, I prefer doing trainer sprites anyways.
Give me a few ideas or assignments and I'll get them done.
Back to top Go down
http://yuri-j-kim.deviantart.com
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 am

I have great expectations.

How about some Knights Templar? ;o
Back to top Go down
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:38 am

--SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 Blasto10
Back to top Go down
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:39 am

--SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 Turtor10
Back to top Go down
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:40 am

--SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 Lapras10

Just a couple interesting ideas I grabbed from a sprite thread on veepee.
Back to top Go down
KIMYURI

KIMYURI

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:48 am

Hyper Beam wrote:
--SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 Lapras10

Just a couple interesting ideas I grabbed from a sprite thread on veepee.

Not sure about the Fire-type Blastoise and turtle thing (I never cared much for post-III generation Pokes, to be honest), but the Grass-type Lapras looks freaking cool.
Although I'm kind of curious how it would get around...I mean, it doesn't have legs or anything, just flippers... o_O

Also, I kinda forgot about Blastoise. I think maybe the jets on his back should be made to look more like the earliest cannons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yuan_chinese_gun.jpg
http://lambcutlet.org/albums/Zheng_He_and_Maritime_Asia_Exhibition/A_Yuan_Dynasty_hand_cannon_which_Chinese_merchants_would_have_used_against_pirates.sized.jpg
In other words, more dulled and less shiny/metallic.
Back to top Go down
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am

Lapras could definitely use better shading.
I'm picturing it as still being a water dweller, and floating around like a little island.
What if we were to weld it with the "ancient lapras" from earlier?
Back to top Go down
KIMYURI

KIMYURI

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 am

Hyper Beam wrote:
Lapras could definitely use better shading.
I'm picturing it as still being a water dweller, and floating around like a little island.
What if we were to weld it with the "ancient lapras" from earlier?

Mm, I'm a little hesitant about that because we don't have permission from the artist of the ancient Lapras, do we?
I like the idea of a floating little island Lapras.
Back to top Go down
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:37 am

As far as my ethics are concerned, it's our own pokemon once we splice it up.

Back to top Go down
Archelon
Admin
Archelon

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 pm

as far as mine are concerned, id kick the ass of anyone using or splicing my work without my permission. as for my own projects, i prefer to make my own sprites instead of using other peoples work
Back to top Go down
Brian.Gif.

Brian.Gif.

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Well arent we splicing and changing the original pokemon that someone made....... so in that case do we use any original pokemon
Back to top Go down
NowPower

NowPower

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Brian.Gif. wrote:
Well arent we splicing and changing the original pokemon that someone made....... so in that case do we use any original pokemon

Original pokemon are very much a goal. Original sprites will have to be made for any splices made (for proof of concept, etc) for the final versions.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 7:02 am

I believe what he means by original Pokemon is the "official" 493. And that certainly introduces a bit of moral ambiguity into it as we are, in fact, using the property of the original creators.

I think that we can use the sprites of the original Pokemon but, considering we have several talented spriters, should avoid using any fan sprites/splices that we do not have permission for.
Back to top Go down
http://andrewrentz.deviantart.com/
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 am

It'd be more fun and create a better final product if we were to make every sprite from either scratch or heavy editing.

Note: HEAVY editing.
Back to top Go down
KIMYURI

KIMYURI

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 8:12 am

Hyper Beam wrote:
It'd be more fun and create a better final product if we were to make every sprite from either scratch or heavy editing.

Note: HEAVY editing.

Agreed, preferably from scratch since scratch and heavy editing really don't have much of a difference in the amount of time they take.

Also, if any of you have Photoshop, sprites from scratch are MUCH easier to create using the Pen Tool. This is what I do:
1. Design the Pokemon. Draw it on paper, Photoshop, whatever. Make sure for your sketch, you draw a perfect square frame first and draw inside it. This ensures that most of the space allowed for a Pokemon sprite is put to good use.
2. Post the sketch on the forum so others can critique the design and give advice on how to improve it. Edit the design accordingly. If you're not very good at drawing, you should ask one of the artists on the forum to "redline" the Pokemon (basically fixing any anatomical errors).
3. Make a new file, 64px by 64px.
4. Set your Brush to Pencil, the default 1px one with 100% Opacity and Flow.
5. In a new layer, paste your revised and improved design. Resize the image so it fits into the 64px by 64px canvas (Ctrl+T).
6. Create a new layer. Select the Pen Tool. At the top, there's a bunch of options. In the first set of options (there's a box with points, a box with a pen tip inside it, and a plain square), choose the middle one (the box with the pen tip). In the second set of options, choose the first one (the pen tip that's not jizzing dotted lines). Now trace the outline of the sketch.
7. Every time you finish a part of the outline, right-click and select "Stroke Path". In the drop-down list that appears, select "Pencil". Repeat until the outline's done. You can do this in any medium/dark color, you're going to change the color later anyways.
8. Yay you're done with the hardest part of creating a sprite from scratch. Now color and shade.

tl;dr: Use the pen tool to trace.

People with MS Paint can do the same thing with the Bezier tool, although you won't be able to use layers.
Back to top Go down
Hyper Beam

Hyper Beam

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 am

For me, step 1 is the hardest part. Once I have a solid picture of it, spritifying it is the easy part (though I'm still kinda learning.)

Anyone too lazy to turn your drawing into a sprite, I'll try my best to take care of it. Symbiosis.
Back to top Go down
Brian.Gif.

Brian.Gif.

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:28 am

Wait a second i thought we had to make it 80x80
Back to top Go down
KIMYURI

KIMYURI

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:46 am

Brian.Gif. wrote:
Wait a second i thought we had to make it 80x80

For FRLG I believe it was 64px? The intro trainer sprites are 80x80.
Back to top Go down
The Mighty Pepper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 am

Yes, but from what I can remember it's 80 x 80 for S/R/E
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: --SPRITING THREAD--   --SPRITING THREAD-- - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

--SPRITING THREAD--
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pokemon Iron :: Goals-
Jump to: